Updating Text-Script Only Stacks in Run-Time, Message Path Memory

axwald axwald at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 03:50:13 EST 2016

Hi,

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote
> ERGO conclude: editing a script only stack and saving it does *not* update
> the "live" version of that file in memory that is in use by the engine.

I'd assume this to be legit & desired behavior. Imagine, your StandAlone
loads an utility stack from the web ("start using stack URL MyURL") - you
want it resident in memory, and you don't want it to be loaded again each
time you use a function in it, right?

You can change it as desired (on the web, using the IDE or an editor), but
your StandAlone will keep running it from memory until you tell it to reload
it - usually via reboot, or a custom "reload" msg. That's what I'd expect,
and is coherent with other software.

For sure, the IDE could help you with such, and auto-update the changed
"used stack" in the main stack. But is it really desirable to have the IDE
working different than the finished product? I'd rather realize my
forgetting to add a "reload" handler before I compile the StandAlone ...

Have fun!

-----
• Livecode programming until the cat hits the fan •