LCServer on Synology DSM

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed Nov 2 11:11:21 EDT 2016

Please keep us posted.  When Apple decided to "end of life" for their big OS X Server. Our net admin here switched to a Synology device as the "Maha" (Great) server on the LAN (15 terrabytes storage or more… not sure exactly.)

That change hit hard, because I was running LC Server on top of Apache under on the OS X server.. That said, compared to linux plain vanilla web server… Apple'simple mentation of web framework was horrible, strange paths for CGI, lots of conflicts on the same machine with simple file sharing… it was never very happy camper etc.  Every upgrade would break it…

But at least I could to a lot of useful things locally by setting up API's on the machine that could access the file system, and users could access thing via the browser and desktop clients using HTTP to talk to the web server on that box e.g. one really cool tool was to use the server's Locate database for custom search engine.. sheesh my LC implementation worked even better than Spotlight…

All gone now … I got a small Lenovo Think box here to set up Ubuntu locally for web services… but no interaction with Synology device because it runs some proprietary flavor of web services…I did not pursue it…