[blog] Quicktime Dependency Solved

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 27 09:52:08 EDT 2016

Peter TB Brett wrote:

 > On 27/05/2016 06:27, Mark Wieder wrote:
 >> Dang!
 >> I was really hoping this was going to work on linux.
 >
 > I'm really curious what made you think that that was at all likely to
 > happen.  I thought that Kevin and I had been _very_ clear, from the
 > point at which this work was first announced, that this was going to
 > be a revision of the _Windows_ player, specifically to deal with the
 > Quicktime problem.  Maybe our communication was ambiguous or unclear
 > in some way.

I think everyone on the team has made it clear that this work in
response to Apple's deprecation of Quicktime or Windows would be
specific to Windows.

But in all fairness, I can appreciate the longing to have video and
audio playback restored on Linux.  This used to work many years ago, but
it got progressively worse over the years and for the last few years
hasn't been possible at all.

In broad terms this would be a regression, but the degradation occurred
before the current definition of "regression" has been followed (and
quite well, to be honest, in that things working in the last Stable
build tend to get high priority if found not to be working in a newer DP
or RC).

Hopefully with the audio recording funded there we'll also have the
ability to play back what we record.

In the meantime, with the focus of the current work indeed on Windows,
it may be helpful to review this thread describing some of the issues
people have found on Windows (yes, I've asked them to submit bug
reports, but relative newcomers are not yet accustomed to filing
reports, and double-checking issues with other users in the forums can
sometimes be helpful):

<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27380>

--
  Richard Gaskin