OT Livecode and Intego Virus Barrier

Lyn Teyla lyn.teyla at gmail.com
Thu May 26 21:39:03 EDT 2016

Kay C Lan wrote:

>> The reason I say that is because if I downloaded any software and it
>> took 3 min to load I wouldn't use it. I don't care how good it
>> 'really' is, if it took 3 minutes to load the impression it would give
>> me is that it is very poorly written/performing app. I have no apps
>> that take more than a few seconds to start.

I do agree with this.

Although, Matthias does have a point in that new users are less likely to experience this due to LiveCodeToolsLog.txt probably being either non-existent or of a much smaller size.

But still — 3 minutes for a 2.8 MB file? I just checked the size of LiveCodeToolsLog.txt on my machine and it’s 13.3 MB. I wonder how long an Intego scan would have taken with that!

One wonders if perhaps:

1. The scanning algorithm or method used by Intego might not have been sufficiently optimized to perform well under certain circumstances;

and/or

2. The method used by LiveCode to write to LiveCodeToolsLog.txt (presumably multiple times) might not be ideal. Could be a "write to file" vs "put into url" issue.

Better yet, perhaps the writing to this log file should not be performed by default, unless a debug setting is set via Preferences.

It does sound like something suitable for a bug/enhancement report.

Lyn