browser widget vs. native browser control (iOS)

Chris Sheffield cs_livecode at icloud.com
Thu May 26 16:13:28 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

It’s been a while since I’ve done some work in LiveCode, so I’m kind of diving into LC 8 and trying to figure out the widgets, which look like an awesome feature.

We (Read Naturally) have a possible need to “wrap” a web app in a browser control in a native iOS app. We need to get around an issue that occurs in the Safari app where media (audio/video) will not play automatically and require some kind of user action. There is a property (mediaPlaybackRequiresUserAction) that can be set on a UIWebView instance in an iOS app. Setting this to NO will allow auto playback.

My question is, does the new browser widget use a UIWebView on iOS? I’m assuming it does (not sure what else it would use), but I want to make sure. If so, is there a way to get a handle to that control (the handle that is normally returned by mobileControlCreate)? I would love to use the widget if possible, as it would require the least amount of code, obviously. But I need that handle to the browser control so I can set the property. If it’s not possible, I’ll go ahead and code it using mobileControlCreate, which should work just fine. It’ll just take a little longer. Or is it possible to simply set that as a property of the browser widget somehow?

Thanks for the help,

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally, Inc.