how to get data from widget browser

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Wed May 25 13:20:47 EDT 2016

Actually not that complicated (I think).  My javascript understanding is
pretty limited but..

As long as you have a defined handler in livecode, you can do interesting
things.  If there is a function in your page that returns dataA and another
that returns dataB, you would just have to build up your script wrapped in
a liveCode.whateverHandler() call.
Something like
do "liveCode.whateverHandler(dataAFunction(),dataBFunction())" Then use
paramcount() in livecode to do your processing.  Not that much different
from the old way (call script) except you use the registered handler to
wrap the function (or functions) being called. whateverHandler could be
seen as a callback, so when a call is made to the widget, include some type
of identifying param, and have it returned along with your data if
necessary.

Some very interesting possibilities, like a callback loop.  Make a request,
the widget responds firing an event, which makes a request.. One could make
a browser widget clock this way, or move things around in the widget or..

I could lose so much time on this!