MetaCard compatibility patterns

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue May 24 19:12:35 EDT 2016

On 5/24/2016 6:54 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Would this break anything that anybody relies on? Does anyone use the actual
> brush image ids? Or care what the actual brush *numbers* are?

I don't believe I have anything that uses brush numbers or IDs, but I
did want to comment on the problem with breaking backward compatibility.

There is an enormous volume of xTalk stacks out there with some people
using them who may have little or even no familiarity with the xTalk
scripts themselves. They may have inherited the stack from someone else
who wrote the code or perhaps even a  number of someone elses.

People may be out there running stacks who rely of the number or the id
or both who do not subscribe to this email list. I'm not arguing for not
making changes or for making changes, just commenting that there is a
large invisible community associated with xTalk. Perhaps evidenced by
that 3/4 of all LiveCode licenses are free  community editions, you just
don't know who'd doing what with it.