Missing split option?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 18 15:02:36 EDT 2016

-hh wrote:

 > Richard G. wrote
 >> Interestingly (though only mildly) I was able to shave off about
 >> 1/10th of a millisecond.
 >
 > This is *very* interesting:
 > How did you success in measuring a difference of 1/10th of a
 > millisecond?

I was born with a birth defect that gives me an unusually refined
awareness of time. :)

Most things I benchmark are too quick to be worth the effort, but it's
an old habit and helps me learn so I just keep doing it.   Given that
things are so fast, I usually run many iterations of an operation,
taking note of the millisecs at the start and then again at the end, and
dividing the difference by the number of iterations.

Far from scientific, and if I worked for CERN that sort of cavalier
measurement wouldn't stand.  But it's enough to help me pick alternate
algos for some things and is simple to write, so I'm okay with it.

I've put together some of my notes on benchmarking here:
<http://livecodejournal.com/tutorials/benchmarking-revtalk.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems