Daft "text Editor" question

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:05:13 EDT 2016

On 18.05.2016 18:45, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> You can read and edit stack files in most text editors (I use BBEdit)
> but note that LC won't recognize the altered file as a valid stack if
> you try to open it later.

Aah: that is where the antic sits (check out Shakespeare's "Richard II":
it rocks); the fact that Livecode won't read the altered file.

In Visual Basic 5 (which I had a brief, unhappy flirtation forced on me
at the "University" of Abertay), although, frankly, I cannot
think of much good to say about it, the one thing that was useful
(although at the time I disliked it intensely) was the ability to look at
the scripts for all the objects in a "stack" as one long list. In fact
my main grouse about it (apart from the fact that it was confined to one
operating system) was that one couldn't view individual scripts of objects.

I notice that in my original post I misspelled 'frankly' as 'farnkly',
and FARNKLY really expresses how I feel
about having to go through millions of lines of code changing numToChar
to numToCodePoint, and replacing surrogate pairs with
full Unicode address numbers.

So am really wondering how to go about this.

In a perfect world (bloody silly thing to say really, as a "perfect
world" is just some sort of delusion) I would be able to
open the whole stack in some sort of text editor, run, say, 50
search-&-replace routines for multiple occurrences, save the thing,
and reopen it in Livecode, and "Bob's yer Uncle".

I wonder why Livecode is "so stuffy"?

Richmond.