SVG Widgets Work Well -- User Contributions - Screen Casts

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat May 14 04:18:28 EDT 2016

Just one small addendum to Brahmanathaswami's good posting.

On 14.05.2016 01:19, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> SVG widget, despite limitations at the moment, is awesome making icons. No more PNG's that go "all bust up" if you resize them…
>

> Go to iconfinder.com… download what you want as svg.
>

> Note that there are cases where the svg is in several paths. So if you open in Illustrator, select all and make compound path, save and *then* use that in the SVG widget… it works.. even unexpectedly where you may have e.g. 3 dots that you would think must be independent paths…

Of course, those of us who don't have either the money to buy, or the
lack of conscience to pirate Illustrator need to know that there are
an increasing number of alternatives to Illustrator that will not burn a
hole in your pocket:

Inkscape:  https://inkscape.org/en/  Mac/Win/Lin

sk1: http://sk1project.org/   Win/Lin

Xara Xtreme: http://www.xaraxtreme.org/  Linux

Illustrator (and the rest of the Adobe family of products) version CS2
are all available free of charge here:
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-adobe-photoshop-cs2-for-free-legally-while-you-still-can/

Illustrator CS2 will do the "trick" that Brahmanathaswami explains;
making a compound path. It also runs rather well on Linux under WINE.

Cheap-Jacks Ahoy!

Richmond.