Defaults for groups

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri May 13 23:12:42 EDT 2016

Am I the only one wishing that when we create a group the defaults should be no border, no border width assign and margins 0?

This keeps biting me as the dimensions of group and what appears on screen don't match and movement of objects in the group displace the group in ways that are off by a few pixels.  One gets a 2 pixel blank area inside the group. If you set the bottom of the gropu to the bottom o the card… you still get a 2 pixel transparent area underneath the group… Setting a background object like a graphic to the exact same dimensions and rect of the group… they don't match.

But then if you turn off the border, explicitly set line width to 0 and margins to 0, the dimensions and what you see and the relation between objects in the group in terms of their coordinates… all work as expected.

Proposed:

the default for a new group be "clean and unadorned"… without any GUI attributes other than the objects that comprise the group.