How to Force Group to Show on Top of Browser Widget

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Fri May 13 04:26:46 EDT 2016

On 13/05/2016 04:14, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> Our new app design will show video in the browser widget, streamed from YouTube.
>
> Because we need to use the entire card (almost) to maximize the video… the browser widget is set 16 X 9 but inset from top and sides  to 686w X 385 tall… bottom is 414 (flush to the bottom of the card)
>
> The browser widget is set to layer 1, the lowest/farthest back "bottom" layer
>
> So, we have to hide the bottom tool bar from the user to show the video.
>
> The Nav bar is set to the top layer of the card
>
> So we do this on open card:
>
> on preopencard
>    setOrientation
>    hide grp "homeScreensBottomNav"
> end preopencard
>
> by the side of the video, the 25px open space I have the 3 Vertical Dot icon which has this script.
>
> on mouseUp
>      show group "homeScreensBottomNav"
> end mouseUp
>
> But if the video is active…  the group will appear. Its as if the browser widget commands all the pixels of it's rect, regardless of what other object may have a higher layer…
>
> Any solutions?

There aren't any solutions yet.  This is due to the way the browser
widget works.  All LiveCode controls are drawn in a single "native"
(i.e. operating system) layer, and the browser view is drawn in an
additional "native" layer.  In order to layer the browser behind
LiveCode controls, it would be necessary to teach the engine to split
the LiveCode controls between as many "native" layers as necessary.

This would be a lot of work, and drawing LiveCode controls on top of
browser widgets isn't something that many people seem to be able to need
to do, so it hasn't been done yet.

You may want to monitor bug 17614, which tracks this very problem.

                                       Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Open Source Team