Recording internal sound (Mac) - possible?

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Thu May 12 01:29:50 EDT 2016

I want to use revSpeak and 'record sound file' in combination with a series of text templates to create some personalised audio files. It works but the default is that it captures audio from the built-in microphone via the computers speakers, which obviously has pretty horrible sound quality.

I’m guessing that I can work around this by plugging a stereo mini plug cable from the headphone port to the microphone port (hang on, my Macbook Air doesn’t have a microphone port so I’ll need a usb adapter as well there) and then fiddling around with the sound input in the sound panel – but it would be easier/better if I could just capture my Mac's internal audio directly. There are a couple of system extension thingys that seem to support this (Soundflower or Sound Siphon) but unfortunately if I install these and select them in the sound input panel then ‘record sound file’ throws an error, like this - ‘error 0 starting recording’ and no file is created.

Has anyone dealt with something like this before, and if so is there any way to make it work other than via the cable route?

I’m using LC 8 BTW.

Terry…