Running Node (or any unix cmd line program) from Shell from a LC Stack

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Mon May 9 22:39:47 EDT 2016

I've been avoiding el capitan so far, but on my system, /etc/paths contains
the bare minimum paths.  /etc/profile adds /opt/local/bin and
/opt/local/sbin, then ~/.bash_profile tacks on a few more (like the path to
mysql and inferno, plus some adjustments made by macports (which appear to
be duplicates of the /opt paths)

Also just discovered "path_helper" which looks for files in /etc/paths.d
and adds paths from any files in there.  (there's one for X11 (Quartz)
another for git, and com.apple.server for the mac server app on my system.)

Nothin like spreading things around a bit..path_helper fires off from
/etc/profile