LC 8 speed advantages??

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Sat May 7 17:52:06 EDT 2016

"LiveCode 8 is on average 3.5 times faster than LiveCode 7"

I was very interested to see this claim as I had been hoping for better
speeds in a text manipulation app I wrote.

After building a standalone with LC 8, I ran the same test file in the new
LC8 standalone as a version I compiled in LC7.

In LC7, the standalone processed the text file in 28 seconds. In the "much
faster" LC8 version, the file took 38 seconds! What's up with that?
This program only uses text manipulation—no graphics work at all—so it
should have shown a substantial speed up, according to this quote on the LC
website: "In LiveCode 8 we’ve completely rewritten our low level string and
binary implementations for speed and performance."

Needless to say, I was very surprised at this result. Has anyone seen
similar (or contrary) results with text manipulation?

--
Regards,

Howard Bornstein