Community PDF Project (was Revenue and the Open Source edition)

Kevin Miller kevin at livecode.com
Thu May 5 13:05:54 EDT 2016

Almost right. We were aiming for complete parity for the heavier weight
browser renderer in the widget to provide perfect cross platform
compatibility and for exactly these sorts of reasons but it wasn't
possible due to some platform specific issues we found integrating the
framework.

However PDF should still work on all platforms because:

Windows & Linux are CEF (Chromium)
Mac is WebView (WebKit based)
iOS is UIWebView (WebKit based)
Android is Android WebView

Mac & iOS WebKit can handle it (we had originally planned to use Chromium
on everything to get a completely consistent experience but had to
withdraw it due to Mac specific CEF bugs).

On Android there is an extra step:

If your PDF is at:
http://livecode.com/mydoc.pdf

You need to wrap it with the Google doc viewer by setting the widget URL
on Android to:
http://docs.google.com/gview?embedded=true&url=http://livecode.com/mydoc.pd

Chromium should be able to handle PDF on Windows/Linux. That said I did
just see a crash when trying it just now on Windows (avoidable for now by
using the same method as for Android). Panos has filed a bug :)

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

On 05/05/2016, 16:56, "use-livecode on behalf of Richard Gaskin"
<use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of