min() and array

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:24:58 EDT 2016

You're only looking at a single value, so its returning it.
min(tArray[i][v])  especially right after your loop.. i will be 5, and v
being unset is seen as "v"
the value that was placed into tArray[i]["v"] was 15.
The min of 15 is 15.

Even if your v has been set, you'd still be only looking at a single value,
which would be returned as the minimum.

In your first example, tArray[v] will be seen as tArray["v"] unless v is
set to something, but no matter how you look at it, tArray[v] is a single
value, and in this case will will be empty.  tarray["anythinghere"] will be
empty because nothing was placed into that element of the array.

Now, if each element [i][v] contains a list "3,5,2,24,63" min([i][v] would
return 2 as the minimum.

To get the minimum value across array entries you need to iterate through
them.

In this case, since v is "v" and never changes you'd have to do something
like this..

repeat for each key tKey in tArray
if tMin is empty then
  put tArray[tKey][v] into tMin
else
   if tArray[tKey][v] < tMin then put tArraytKey][v] into tMin
end if
return tMin

Alternatively you could return the keys that point to tMin which might be
more useful.