Revenue and the Open Source edition

Matthias Rebbe matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Tue May 3 03:56:48 EDT 2016

I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On one hand i would prefer a pay once use for ever license model.
On the other i want a software tool which is maintained  and upgraded regularly, even if that means that i have to pay for it.

I remember discussions when the old “pay once use that version forever, but you can pay for updates” license model were active.
The people were moaning that the tool they just  had purchased some months or weeks ago, was upgraded and the upgrade was not free.
I remember discussions about the price for the yearly upgrade fee of Revolution standard and Enterprise.

Regarding the discussion about the possibility to deploy to iOS for semi-professionals and hobbyists:
With the current situation how often xCode is upgraded and how often therefore Livecode needs to be fixed to work again with that xCode version, i really do not see any advantage for such a "pay once use forever” license without having the opportunity  to subscribe to a software maintenance plan.
But even with such an option to subscribe to such a plan, the discussion starts over and over again as soon as  an xCode version is released which is not working with older “not upgraded” LC versions.

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke