[OT] Atkinson Interview, Pt 2

Colin Holgate colinholgate at gmail.com
Mon May 2 08:07:47 EDT 2016

My experience with Bill at San Jose went a bit better than yours! As soon as I saw him milling around I knew who it was. I was stood somewhere near where he was going to be sitting, and I noticed the name tag of Sioux Atkinson. I’m not even sure if I knew they were married, but I asked her if she used to be Sioux Lacy, whose name i knew from the HyperCard team (I worked at Apple in the UK during the first few years HyperCard was around, so knew some of the HyperCard team).

While we were chatting Bill arrived back, possibly slightly bothered by some guy talking to his wife! I told him that we had met about 21 years before, to which he humored me with a “oh, where might that have been?”. Fortunately it had been at his office, when I was visiting someone else on the HyperCard team, so that was a good enough answer!

If you recall, I made a jigsaw puzzle app for the competition, and several times during the next couple of days Bill was sat next to me watching me figure out the programming difficulties, which is a bit like Michael Jordan watching you shoot hoops.

I too got a photo with Bill. I had to ask Kevin to move out of the way… (ok, I made up that bit!)