Script Only Stack Architecture

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Mar 31 14:42:56 EDT 2016

Jai Ganesha! I went to bed HST worried I was creating too much churn on this list and here you guys kept spinning a web of silk and gold ideas all night long....Awesome... Now have to digest all this.

BR: "opening the stack did not work"
RG: What happened?

Still failing today.. try this unit test

1) create folder "app source
2) create folder inside "main-stack-scripts"
3) create new stack --> name "Test External File Parent Script" (or whatever)
4) make field and lock it. name it "Hot Field"
5) go to file menu --> new stack --> script only --> create stack --"script-only-behavior"
6) put in this script

on mouseup
answer (the short name of me) with "GoodOnYa from Script-Only Behavior!"
end mouseup

7) save to folder "main-stack-scripts"
8) in the stacks script of "Test External File Parent Script"

put

on preopenstack
put localpath() & "main-stack-scripts/testOpenBehavior.livecode" into tStackPath
open stack tStackPath
end preopenstack

function localPath
put specialFolderPath("Resources") into tPath
put "/" after tPath
return tPath
end localPath

9) go to the field and apply the script only stack as behavior to field "Hot Field"
10) save everything
11) Quit LC
12) reboot LC
13) open "main" stack --> Test External File Parent Script
14) Application browser confirms: the preopenstack handler triggered with no error and the script only  "testOpenBehavior.livecode" is there in the list as an open stack
15) click on the field --> nothing happens.
main-stack-scripts/testOpenBehavior.livecode
17) save --> quit LC --> reboot,
18) open main stack "Test External File Parent Script"
19) click on field: result: dialog opens as expected:

Hot Field
  [with] GoodOnYa from Script-Only Behavior!

ergo: merely opening a script-only stack that is applied as a behavior to a control (not global in scope) does *not* place into the msg path.

BR