Script Only Stack Architecture

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Mar 31 01:55:36 EDT 2016

On March 30, 2016 at 6:17:20 PM, Richard Gaskin (ambassador at fourthworld.com<mailto:ambassador at fourthworld.com>) wrote:

Here's my post noting the other two ways (in addition to using the
stackFiles property) of loading stacks into memory:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2016-March/225249.html>

in brief:
1. Open them

# this did not work for me earlier today

2. Read any property from them

# have yet to try that..

3. Adding stack files and restarting the stack works

Forgive me for seeming to be obtuse.  It's partly deliberate because the discourse is  opaque enough to make using script-only stacks for behaviors challenging --  gaps in the picture of "exactly what should I do?"  so I thought we might get some "ghee" out of the churn  -- clear instructions, for everyone -- and also because I really want to go this modular direction so I tend to dig, dig, dig until all the worms are out of the can and crawling on the table. Gold may appear.

I did read your post and I did try to put my script-only stack  into memory by using "open" in the preopenstack of the main stack.

But it did not work. The child called out, (mouse up on field) but the parent didn't hear it even though he was in the room (in memory via "open)

 I will test again tomorrow after letting LC8 rest over night. The LC8 IDE has a  referencing issues... and is "losing the target" in a number of scenarios. Like the case of deleting an object on your card and watching while a button in the inspector palette disappears instead. Msg path gone awry until you restart. The failure of mouseup to not trigger the behavior when the parent stack is in memory already... smells like a similar fish...

I agree BTW -- "parent" is a  much more helpful term.. we use that in CSS and XML... so why not here? I've even start replacing "behavior" with "parent" in my head, as it helps keep things straight.

POINT:  though you may not want to overload the dictionary, something more is needed.  Who has contributing rights?    I could give is a shot (much more concise.)

Mahalo for your near-infinite patience!