Script Only Stack Architecture

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Mar 31 01:44:10 EDT 2016

On 3/30/2016 9:57 PM, Matt Maier wrote:
> I just tried reproducing your actions and now I'm confused. All I did was
> make a new stack, drag a field onto it, then put:
>
> on mouseUp
> put "hello" & cr after me
> end mouseUp
>
> When I left-click, nothing happens, even though I can double click to
> select words and I can left-click-drag to highlight words.
>
> When I right-click, the field's script runs and "hello" appears in the
> field.
>
> The field doesn't even get "mouseUp" (or mouseDown for that matter) when I
> left-click, but it does when I right-click.
>
> I'm using 8dp13. Is that supposed to happen?

Yes, that's normal behavior. If a field is editable, a right-click
generates editing messages like openField, enterField, etc. If the field
is not editable (it's locked) then it will get mouseUp messages. An
editable field will also get mouseUp on a right-click (useful for
generating a contextual menu.)

But in the context of this thread, placing the handler directly into the
field script isn't the same thing as assigning a behavior to the field.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com