Fwd: Re: Siege benchmarks for Pierre

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 29 11:44:09 EDT 2016

Pierre Sahores wrote:

> If your lcHTTPd standalone is a TCP sockets server, the low TOP load
> (less than 25%) is not surprising at all and can even go lots less in
> using nginx instead of apache...

Yes, the benefits of using NginX as the broker instead of Apache are
well documented in these articles on achieving high concurrency counts
on cheap VPSes (see note on funky url formats below):
   http COLON SLASH SLASH
markmaunder.com/2009/12/01/how-to-handle-1000s-of-concurrent-users-on-a-360mb-vps/
   http COLON SLASH SLASH
reviewsignal.com/blog/2014/06/25/40-million-hits-a-day-on-wordpress-using-a-10-vps/

But my test setup was a bit weirder: lcHTTPd doesn't use Apache at at all.

The only thing handling the transactions is that one humble
single-threaded LC standalone process.

Once moved behind a reverse proxy such a tool could easily handle very
high loads, using the LC engine we know and love today.

Coupled with something like Andre's revSpark library for easily crafting
RESTful APIs revised for an always-on process like lcHTTPd, the range of
scalable, performant ad hoc microservices solutions that could be
deployed ultra-rapidly with LiveCode is nearly endless.

Message-based server architectures are all the rage lately, and when we
take full advantage of callbacks for network I/O we LiveCoders find
we've had the opportunity to enjoy them all along.

Did you see Charles Warwick's post last June about a Docker container
for LC Server?:
http COLON SLASH SLASH
lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-July/216882.html

I can imagine a Docker container, and perhaps a Juju charm for Ubuntu
Server and even a Snap for the newer Ubuntu Core, set up to deploy a
complete LiveCode microservices solution in one line....

Ah, if only I had more time for such things.  The funny part is that I'm
discovering we have solutions for far larger server loads than any
project I'm currently working on actually needs. :)

PS - Note on funky URL formats:  This is my fifth attempt to send this
email to the list.  In trying to discern why some of my emails come
through while others don't, it occurred to me that only those with URLs
in them were blocked from posting.  Since no bounce message was received
and I haven't yet heard back from support I can only guess how I need to
post here now while this seeming email filter problem gets sorted out,
so please forgive the funky URL format and if my other emails eventually
come through please forgive the redundancy.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems