URGENT: emails being rejected

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Mar 22 20:59:44 EDT 2016

On 22/03/2016 17:14, Mark Wieder wrote:

> A couple of things:
>
> 1. If you're using the on-rev smtp server to send emails, STOP THAT
> right now. Configure your email client to send email using the smtp
> server of your isp. You don't need to change the pop server, just the
> outgoing one.
>
> 2. See point #1.

Mark,

why? what's wrong with sending email from on-rev (or any other hosting
provider) ?

Intuitively, that seems like the right way to do it - my email claims to
come from "alex at tweedly.net" - surely it's a good thing that it
originates on the machine that DNS resolves for 'tweedly.net'.  In fact,
if I send that email instead from my DSL provider then doesn't it become
indistinguishable from any spammer's email which has my email address in
the 'from' line, but comes from a machine with no connection to
'tweedly.net' ?

And, practically, how do I do that ?  Most days I use 3 different ISPs
(home, office, neighbour's) - would I need to reconfig my email client
each time ?

(or, to put it another way - what am I missing ? :-)

Thanks
Alex.