How to contribute [was: Give somebody something good, and they demand more.]

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Tue Mar 22 11:22:42 EDT 2016

On 22/03/2016 15:16, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On 22/03/2016 14:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Peter TB Brett wrote:
>>  > On 21/03/2016 21:12, RM wrote:
>>  >> Well, as the Livecode 8 revTools stack can be set to be thin, normal
>>  >> or fat [and that is really nice],
>>  >> I suppose it shouldn't be that difficult for the Livecode folk to
>>  >> allow us to choose the order we want the sections to be displayed in.
>>  >>
>>  >> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26785&p=139953#p139953
>>  >
>>  > I think the new tools palette is 100% implemented using script-only
>>  > stacks so it should be easy to implement it yourself and submit a
>>  > pull request!
>>
>> But will a pull request be accepted?
>>
>> Some guidance may be useful on pull requests so community members can
>> anticipate when it will be in their interests to perform the work.
>
> I agree!  Here's a list of steps you can take to make it more likely
> that your changes will be accepted.
>
> 0. Be willing to go away and learn things by yourself.  The core
> development team is very small and very busy and we won't necessarily
> have time to closely guide you through using normal development tools in
> the normal way.

Having said that, it's worth noting that the core dev team will do our
best to find time to help you when you get stuck, and to point you in
the direction of helpful and relevant reference materials whenever
feasible.  We'll never tell you to "RTFM, noob"!

                                       Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Open Source Team