Looking for parser for Email (MIME)

Roland Huettmann roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 06:56:50 EDT 2016

Hello all

Something else. I managed to download all my mail from last years in MBOX
format from Gmail. The file size is over 38 GB, and there are more than
120,000 messages.

There is no way of just opening and reading such last file into memory, at
least not on my computer with limited RAM. Usual text processors also do
not open such large files. LiveCode simply does not read such file and "it"
remains empty. (There should be an error message in "the result" though.)

But it was possible using the "open file <filename> for binary read" and
crawling through the file for each email message using "read from <file> at
<position> until <string>" and calculating the new starting position in
each loop.

Now, having extracted each message (over 120,000  and then storing in
database), I want to parse each email message which usually supports MIME
format with single or multi message bodies. It is not difficult for header
fields, but there have been some difficulties correctly decoding other
parts with encoded pictures, sound or whatever.

Also the HTML parts are not correctly displaying in LiveCode fields when
set to their HTML property.

There are numerous different text encodings in different messages.

My question: Did anybody already develop a parser in LiveCode accomplishing
such task? Otherwise I have to put more time her and figure it out all
myself... )

I am using Windows 10 and LC 8.0.0 DP 16.

Roland