Sample Stacks Stack in Livecode 8 - Gone ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 18 18:13:14 EDT 2016

Peter TB Brett wrote:

> On 18/03/2016 20:26, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Separate from the question of security is a larger one:
>>
>> Is a stack repository even something we need/want the core dev team to
>> be tasked with maintaining?
>>
>> R's CRAN, Python's PyPI, Perls CPAN, and others are all maintained by
>> the communities of those languages, leaving the core dev teams to keep
>> their focus on the scripting engines they produce.
>
> As far as I know, we plan to introduce a package management system (with
> all of the capabilities that one might expect, such as version
> management, dependency management, checksums, cryptographic signatures,
> etc. etc.) as part of the delayed Extension Store feature.
>
> It won't be a small or easy job but it's very important that we get it
> right when we do it.  Don't expect anything that you can try out for a
> few months yet.

Excellent.  The security part of that is a hard nut to crack.  The best
we could do would be to limit access by using a standalone running with
securityPermissions, which is a faulty way to test many things because
unless a stack is written with specific securityPermissions in mind it
just breaks a lot.  :)

Happy to have you folks do it.  And given the challenge of doing it
well, I don't think anyone will mind waiting.

> Of course, if someone else comes up with something first then there's a
> good chance we might adopt and contribute to that, so don't let our
> ideas (there's no code yet!) put you off starting something.
>
> If you do, you will find this to be relevant and useful reading material:
>
> https://medium.com/@sdboyer/so-you-want-to-write-a-package-manager-4ae9c17d9527

Thanks, but I'm hoping to avoid this:
https://xkcd.com/927/

The Yum/Deb schism has already caused enough gray hairs, and while Snaps
are IMO a great (if not long overdue) solution to many of the
limitations of those earlier PMs Canonical's already taking heat for
making yet-another-package-manager.

I'm happy to leave such controversies to other camps.  If you folks are
working on a broad-scope package management solution for LC, I'm sure
it'll be well worth waiting for.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems