Re: Re: Re: ≠ or not equal

-hh hh at livecode.org
Thu Mar 17 03:58:40 EDT 2016

> R.G. wrote
> If we were to look for not-equal-to operators that affect large numbers
> of people, it might be worth considering supporting "!=", since a
> majority of other languages support so for today's audience (and more
> importantly tomorrow's) that habit impacts orders of magnitude more
> developers than an old HyperCard-specific token.

This is certainly NOT a problem that is specially linked to HyperCard.
We have it always when importing any 8-bit data from old Macs.

These are more generaly the specials of the extended Macintosh codeTable
(here: char 173) and the differences to Latin-1 (or HTML entities, where
­ is ­ the optional hyphen) etc.

"!=" is a good solution (as it is one out of the ASCCI 7-bit range).