Re: ≠ or not equal

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Thu Mar 17 00:50:11 EDT 2016

> On 17 Mar 2016, at 10:43 AM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
>
> On 03/16/2016 07:18 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> If we were to look for not-equal-to operators that affect large numbers
>> of people, it might be worth considering supporting "!=", since a
>> majority of other languages support so for today's audience (and more
>> importantly tomorrow's) that habit impacts orders of magnitude more
>> developers than an old HyperCard-specific token.
>
> Done.
> <https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/3754>

Cool, will be interesting to see how this goes. I know jumping between languages I’ve had to correct myself on that one. The other one is break which of course compiles fine but only works in case control structures when I was trying to use it in repeat one time instead of exit repeat. I wonder why break wasn’t exit switch? I guess if we allowed break as a synonym for exit repeat then we might want to allow continue as a synonym for next repeat… In the end we will start arguments about whether there aught to be just one syntax to do things rather than lots of synonyms and let the script editor translate the synonyms and abbreviations on the fly (I’m pretty sure that was what we ended up with last time we discussed it).

Cheers

Monte