server difficulties coming from LC7, or new host?

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Wed Mar 16 14:37:39 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

customer's relatively stable client/server system no longer works. I'm
trying to understand why. (The server code is in my customer's on-rev
account, not on a LAN server.)

I have adjusted arrayEncode() in my server code to work with my 6.x
client apps, but this has not been enough to make everything work again.
The apps are able to interact with server code enough to get
authenticated as valid users of the system, but any attempt by an app to
download a data chunk of 200k or so causes timeout errors, even if I set
client and server socketTimeoutIntervals to a ridiculously long 60
seconds. (My server tests show that the server is done with the 'put'
loooong before the client 'post' times out.) Communication from clients
to server use 'post' or 'get', and the server code 'puts' all data back
to clients.

Details:
Each of 3 desktop apps reaches out to the code in my customer's on-rev
(now LC) hosting account for authentication and data before proceeding.
Then in the course of doing their jobs, they will upload or download
other info.

With the advent of the new hosting provider, we were also given LC 7.1.0
as our only choice of server engine. This in itself is not a bad thing,
but it immediately impacted my world. I had to change all instances of
"arrayEncode()" in my server code to include the "6.7" param since all
our desktop apps are currently built with LC 6.x. (Our transfer data is
often structured in arrays underneath the encoding.) For a full 10
seconds or so after that change, I thought our problems were solved, but
it only allowed the next problem to manifest itself.

I'm probably leaving out some vital info, so feel free to ask. I'm
getting nowhere right now, so I'll greatly appreciate any insight you
can offer. I would love to discover that I'm overlooking something
simple. (Hey, I can always hope!)

Thanks -

--
Phil Davis