Better theming in Livecode 8

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 14:16:43 EST 2016

This looks interesting:

https://livecode.com/better-theming-in-livecode-8/

Until one reads this:

"If you don’t want to use the new appearance, you can set the “theme”
property of a control, group, card or stack to “legacy” and the
pre-LiveCode 8 appearance will be used. To get the new appearance for an
individual control, use “native”."

So, I set up a stack with a fld "fff" and a button with this script:

on mouseUp
    set the themeClass of fld "fff" to "label"
end mouseUp

and, while the button inside went grey, it did not look like a label.

Also, while it may be jolly to set the themes of individual controls in
one's stack, it is going to be
a big pain-in-the-b if one has to do that for one's 50 or so controls on
a card: Fraser's article giving
no indication about whether 'theme' is inherited, so that if I set the
theme of my stack to 'egacy'
everything on the stack will adopt the 'legacy' theme.

As 'theme' and 'themeClss' are NOT in the online Dictionary [
https://livecode.com/resources/api/ ]
there is no easy way that Linux users can find out what all the 'theme'
and 'themeClass' possibilities
are, or whether they are all cross-platform or not.

Richmond.