Write to IPTC Core Data of Image Files?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Mar 10 03:24:28 EST 2016

On 2016-03-10 07:59, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> We can do this in Adobe Bridge, and I can also leverage SIPs on the
> Mac using shell scripts from LIvecode. But what I really need is a web
> based solution that will run on LInux/Ubuntu.  Any ideas? Marks
> Smith's old ID3 tags script, still works even today, and this was a
> native LC solution (no external)  has anyone got ideas for doing this
> for images/IPTC data?  once images are tagged with robust IPTC
> metadata, then we can do anything with them from there and it's all
> portable...

There's a command line tool exiv2 which is cross-platform which would do
the job in the first instance. The actual data for IPTC (and XMP) are
'applications of XML' (meaning they are just XML!) so you could
construct the XML in LiveCode then use shell() to call exiv2 to embed it
the image file (see http://exiv2.org and
http://www.exiv2.org/manpage.html).

It would be more than possible to write a LiveCode Script library which
extracts and embeds such things into image files - helpfully the process
to do so has already been mapped out by the exiv2 project (e.g.
http://dev.exiv2.org/projects/exiv2/wiki/The_Metadata_in_JPEG_files) -
although that will require a fair bit of 'bit bashing' to do.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps