LC8DP15 feedback-IDE Issues

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Mar 3 11:09:51 EST 2016

On 2016-03-03 01:55, Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 03/02/2016 02:21 PM, panagiotis merakos wrote:
>> The "mysterious lock icon with a 'Show' tootip" is setting the
>> cantSelect
>> property of the control. The tooltip should reflect that though, so we
>> have
>> to update it.
>
> I'm curious, though, about the decision process that moved the
> cantSelect property up the pantheon of properties out of the Property
> Inspector and into the Project Browser. Is there something particular
> about cantSelect that makes it more important than other properties?

I do recall us having a discussion amongst the team at the time that
report came in.

Evaluating from a 'screen real estate' point of view then yes, it
probably is a bit of a waste of space in the PB relative to the
frequency of the properties use. Now I'm pretty sure that the reason
'cantSelect' was never in the property inspector before was that once
you had turned it on, you couldn't select the object again easily and
thus wouldn't be able to turn it off except via the message box (so
beginners, in particular, could get themselves into a state where they
had accidentally set the cantSelect property and then not work out why
they couldn't select it any more, or set the property back).

Now, having just checked this in the latest LC8 IDE - it seems that
cantSelect makes no difference to the IDE when you manipulate objects in
the project browser or property inspector (just when trying to use the
mouse on the stack itself) so it might well do better in the property
inspector... Perhaps under an 'advanced' tab where users won't
accidentally set it and then be puzzled why Edit mode no longer works
like Edit mode for that object!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps