LC8DP15 feedback-IDE Issues

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Mar 2 20:13:29 EST 2016

> On 3 Mar 2016, at 11:09 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>
> On March 2, 2016 4:43:21 PM Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> Given this, I wonder if it makes more communicative sense to consider
>> moving the basic controls above the Widgets, closer to the always-used
>> Browse and Pointer icons.
>

> That was one of the things on my imaginary list. I'd like to see widgets at the bottom of the tool palette where they are out of the way, and where there is room for expansion as more become available. The primary hit regions will always be the browse and edit tools, and they need to be slightly larger than all the others and at the top where the user's eye will focus first.

I’m not sure if “out of the way” is exactly the direction the platform is heading. Once there are a much larger range of widgets we might not be using legacy controls that much any more. At the moment you can choose if you want to hide a group. I just hid the paint tools because I can’t remember ever using those… It would be nice if we could manage and order (top to bottom) our own groups of controls. I think this will be where we need to go when we have the “problem" of dealing with too many widgets. That and the ability to nest a set of controls into a popup button within another group of controls which was suggested earlier. As the LC 8.x series matures I expect these kinds of solutions will be a natural progression and likely arrive before or just in time for when they are needed.

> I'd avoid greys except as backgrounds. Very dark gray is okay for text but not so good for primary icons, it's too overbearing. Very light grey is difficult to see, and also implies less importance (temporary text in fields is often light grey, for example, to indicate the text will disappear when the user starts typing.)

I’d like to see this and a great many other colors in the UI be user settings along with an easy way to share such settings between users.

Cheers

Monte