LC8DP15 feedback-IDE Issues

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Mar 2 19:09:39 EST 2016

On March 2, 2016 4:43:21 PM Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Given this, I wonder if it makes more communicative sense to consider
> moving the basic controls above the Widgets, closer to the always-used
> Browse and Pointer icons.

That was one of the things on my imaginary list. I'd like to see widgets at
the bottom of the tool palette where they are out of the way, and where
there is room for expansion as more become available. The primary hit
regions will always be the browse and edit tools, and they need to be
slightly larger than all the others and at the top where the user's eye
will focus first.

Widgets are also a little too large compared to the other icons, and too
dark, which makes them visually distracting. They also don't match the rest
of the interface. Most professional teams create a particular color palette
early on that will represent their brand and all interface elements must
adhere to it. Apple uses blue, Google centers around certain saturations of
primary colors, etc.  LC should choose a color scheme and use it throughout
to visually integrate all components.

I'd avoid greys except as backgrounds. Very dark gray is okay for text but
not so good for primary icons, it's too overbearing. Very light grey is
difficult to see, and also implies less importance (temporary text in
fields is often light grey, for example, to indicate the text will
disappear when the user starts typing.)

I do favor functionality over appearance, but the sad fact is that new
users will base their first impressions of the product on how it looks.
These are some of the small details that matter for a professional
presentation.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com