LC8DP15 feedback-IDE Issues

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 2 17:42:13 EST 2016

I haven't used the Tools palette in years, but this conversation
prompted me to take a gander.

I wonder if having the Widgets above the basic controls is the best
place for them.

I tend to think of UIs as telling a story, and sometimes that can
include communicating the importance of things by their placement.

Having the Browse and Pointer tools at the top, and giving them the
largest target area, seem like good choices given their very central
role throughout development.

But I'll spend weeks at a time adding only buttons and fields to cards,
only occasionally using anything else.

The Widgets, while both useful and cool, are less commonly used.
Indeed, most projects will use most of them once or twice if at all.

Given this, I wonder if it makes more communicative sense to consider
moving the basic controls above the Widgets, closer to the always-used
Browse and Pointer icons.

I might even go so far as to consider moving the graphics above Widgets
as well, to be consistent in terms of frequency of use, though I
recognize that the paint tools are perhaps the least commonly used of
all, and they make sense being grouped near the drawing tools, so
perhaps leaving that whole set at the bottom is fine, and we could just
consider moving the basic tools (buttons, fields, and such) above the
Widgets.

Any opinions on this?

PS: What happens when one has 100 Widgets installed?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems