Hey-Ho and Off We Go with HTML5

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Mar 2 03:18:36 EST 2016

On 2016-03-02 09:01, RM wrote:
> Preferably this would be WITHOUT the message having to go via the
> client's e-mail system as:
>
> 1.  The message should be anonymous.
>
> 2.  The end-user may have no e-mail client configured.

Okay so there in terms of what you will be able to do in this regard
with the HTML5 engine there are two feasible options as far as I can
see:

1) "launch url" with a 'mailto:' URL. This would invoke the locally
configured email client (and is what revMail does). This won't (I
believe) work in the HTML5 engine yet because we haven't hooked it up
(to my knowledge at least). I *think* this would be possible - Peter
could perhaps comment. (It would ask the hosting web-browser to launch
the url).

2) Put a web-service on a server and get that to send the email. This
requires no client-side email configuration but does require configuring
a web-service to do it. Indeed, there might be third party services out
there which could be used. Again, Peter would have to comment on the
feasibility of whether this would work in the HTML5 engine at the moment
since I cannot recall off the top of my head which (if any) URL
primitives we have yet implemented.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps