Licensing questions again

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:14:41 EST 2016

As a past master of unacceptable language, while the Livecode people may
seem a bit
"opaque" at times, I certainly have never (over a period of some 15
years) seen any evidence
that they have deliberately cheated anyone. I do think that they are not
the best people in
the world at explaining how their licensing works, nor how they think
their way through some
of the other stuff they dish out to end-users: that is NOT cheating
anyone; that is the plain and
simple fact that as they are rather good computer people and produce a
rather good programming
platform they aren't necessarily that good at PR.

Nor have I heard of any version of Livecode issued initially with a
"forever" licence suddenly
stopping working because the company have changed their licensing model.
I use both Livecode (a.k.a. 'Runtime Revolution') 4.0 and 4.5 on both
Linux and a G5 PPC Macintosh running Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5 (dual boot).
Their licences haven't suddenly gone "pop" because
later versions of Livecode have time-limited licences.

One of the best ways to avoid getting confused about licencing issues is
to turn on your computer (!)
and see if your Commercial version whose licence you seem to be fussed
about can still crank out standalones . . . If it can, you're doing
fine; if it can't you probably have to send some money to the company.
If it can't produce standalones (meaning your time-limited licence has
expired) make sure that when you pay your next lump you get the Livecode
people to let you know how long the next licensing 'chunk' lasts and
write that date somewhere easy to see; such as on the wall behind your
computer!

Another way to avoid getting confused about licencing issues is to use
the Community version: because
the LIvecode people have, very kindly indeed (!!!!) let us all have FREE
versions we can use, play and develop with forever and ever without end
(or at least until our computers go 'bang').

On 1.03.2016 19:34, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Your language is completely unacceptable on this list.
>
> I find in life it is generally far more productive and and conducive to
> pleasant stress-free living to assume another party does not have negative
> intentions unless proven otherwise. I do not believe in our long years of
> history we have given you evidence that supports the idea that we take
> away rights of customers after the fact. And I do not believe you are
> privy to the conversation that has taken place between support and this
> customer.
>
> I¹ve reviewed the thread between Heather and Wilhelm and I can see that no
> such withdrawal of rights after the fact has taken place. Wilhelm simply
> does not yet appear to fully understand the extensive explanation that
> Heather supplied. Perhaps we can improve the way we communicate these
> complexities in the future.

Ta-Da! What did I write at the top of the page?

Richmond.