Licensing questions again (was: Glen Bojsza "LC 8 hard question...")

sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Tue Mar 1 11:31:42 EST 2016

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 11:40:41 -0500 Glen Bojsza<gbojsza at gmail.com>  wrote:
To: How to use LiveCode<use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>

> After reviewing all the previous releases of Livecode I am trying to
> determine when LC 8 will start getting to RC and then how long from there
> to stable.
>
> My question is hard since there is no true and fast answer on how the
> development goes ...anything can cause it to derail.
>
> But does anybody think it is reasonable to get to a stable release by July
> this year?
>
> My license expires in August and I would hope with the amount of time that
> has passed and up to then that I would get a stable release of LC 8 before
> my license expires.
>
> Or I am expecting too much?
>
> regards,
>
> Glen

You are surely not expecting too much. The question is, however, what kind of a license you own at the moment. It would not help you to get a stable release of LC 8 before your license expires in August, if it is not a "perpetual-style" one. If you bought your current license under the new subscription scheme you would have to buy a new license anyway to be able to produce closed-source stacks or apps.

According to what Livecode-Support told me, licensing rules changed to "subscription style" in April 2013 during the Kickstarter campaign. This would mean - as a requirement to be able to use your present license past your expiration date in August - that you must have bought a Commercial license before April 2013 which was valid at the same time up to August 2016.

  I am in a somewhat similar situation. I possessed a (perpetual) Commercial license (August 2012 to August 2013) at the time of the Kickstarter campaign in 2013 which license was then "extended" for three years until August 2016 on account of my Kickstarter contributions.

The Livecode CTO (Chief Technology Officer) wrote on Dec 14, 2015 (use-list: "licensing issues"):

> Up until the subscription model style license was introduced, the
> LiveCode Commercial License was perpetual per version.

and on Dec 19, 2015:

> As your current (perpetual-style) license expires in August 2016, you
> have access to a perpetual version of all versions released (whether
> they be gm, rc or dp) up until that date.

This view is not being supported by "Livecode Support". They claim that since the licensing scheme changed to "subscription" in April 2013, my perpetual license at that time was somehow affected and mutated to subscription style, too, as it were "on the fly". I was never informed about such a change during the Kickstarter campaign and I doubt that such a silent change could be legally justified.

At present my personal Livecode account shows that I even own *two" Commercial licenses:

- One - this must be my "perpetual" license - allows me to access LC versions 4.5.x to 6.1.0, and

- the other is "valid for all versions until 15th August 2016", but is strangely restricted to all versions lower than LC 7.1.2 (seven-one-two) for downloads and offline activation files.

We are discussing these issues at the moment.

Kind regards,

Wilhelm Sanke

---