Monte Goulding's day off? ; -) mergJSON - Documented Bug or Feature?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jun 29 13:43:39 EDT 2016

The letter of the JSON spec does make perfect sense and the C library does precisely what it should - it uses the appropriate C types to represent the values which are encoded in the JSON file.

Of course, in C, you have to explicitly convert from numbers to strings and as such *always* have to explicitly think about the number of decimal places you are going to use when displaying numbers.

The issue here is that the external interface the external uses can only return strings to LiveCode and as such (in order to preserve precisely what is in the JSON file) has to format the numeric strings to a degree of precision such that when the engine converts them back to actual numbers internally, they are precisely the same number as was converted from the original string.

The issue here is that 1.4 is not exactly representable as a binary floating point value - the value that is represented is actually 1.4+/-epsilon where epsilon is a very small error value. So when given a number converted from the string "1.4" it could actually have come from a huge range of different numeric strings (all very close together) - it's an entirely arbitrary decision to choose any one of these possibilities when converting back to a string, the one which is chosen is generally the one which is the fastest to generate algorithmically.

If the original C library had been written to interface to a stringy language (like LiveCode) via an external code interface which only understands strings (which is the case with the mergJson external) then it might well have kept the string representation of the number alongside that of the actual number; or indeed only passed around the original string representation. However, it was not designed with that in mind and as such there is some friction between using it from LiveCode in this way.

Fortunately mergJSON is not the only option - there is LCB library providing JSON import and export as well as several LiveCode script JSON parsers around. They all have their pros and cons I'm sure - so pick one which better suits you direct needs.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone