Controls on mobile apps - am I missing something?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Jun 27 14:18:28 EDT 2016

My previous mobile app dabbling had involved entirely custom interfaces. Now
I'm trying to create a more straightforward app with a more conventional
interface - and I'm getting a horrible dichotomy between the widgets (header
bar, navigation bar, switch control, segmented control) and the traditional
controls (radio buttons, sliders, progress bars, etc).  The latter look fine
on Mac; but on iOS, they've gone back to Motif, which is to say several decades.

I found the "theme" property introduced in 8.0 and thought that perhaps this
is what I'd been missing. But I added some temporary controls in my app to
toggle the theme of this stack ... and it didn't seem to make any difference.
(Or rather, there was a visible difference - the text size and possibly font
of some elements where I'd left them at the default changed; but the radio
buttons, sliders etc were still horrible.)

Am I missing something: or is there really nothing better than the Motif
rendering for these basic controls?

TIA,

Ben