[OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 14 14:40:12 EDT 2016

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > "All" means all.

"All" is a very big number.  The largest possible.

As such it's a uniquely expensive option.

If we had a universal API for bots the way we do for email, this would
be a no-brainer.

And we will, but not for some time.

We're still in the early days, in which every vendor believes they will
be the one who rules the world.  It'll be perhaps many years before it
becomes self-evident that there will be no single prevailing vendor,
that interoperability is more important than trying to win an unwinnable
game of total market domination.

So for the next few years we have to look long and hard at ROI for each
AI API.

Colin likes Alexa, and I'm rather partial to MyCroft, and others like
Siri, and I suppose there are fans of Cortana.  And new ones are
springing up every month.

But when it comes to implementation, at some point we'll find ourselves
needing to make choices.

And when we do, as much as I may like Mycrosft I'd have to support
Colin's preference for Alexa as a first implementation, if only by its
market share.   By virtue of its smaller audience and greater openness,
perhaps Mycroft would be ideally supported through a separate
community-driven effort.

In a world of finite resources, choices are inevitable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems