[OT-ish] WWDC things of interest

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 14 12:29:06 EDT 2016

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > I am also extremely disappointed that we are not seeing any sort of
 > real convergence between macOS and ios.  Here, we have several users
 > that are on surface pro's, because they can get the best of both
 > worlds in the windows universe on one device.

No worries, it'll happen, probably within just another year or two.

It's inevitable:  it doesn't make economic sense to create a different
OS for every form factor.

After all, what's really the difference between a laptop with a
detachable touch screen and a tablet with a docking keyboard?

As device types continue to diversify they also continue to overlap in
use cases.  Unifying the underpinnings makes good sense.

They're just taking their time with it.  They want it to be good.  And
then they're ready to announce it their convergence implementation will
likely be far better than Windows', and possibly even better than
Ubuntu's.  Ubuntu has a several-year head start, but _much_ smaller R&D
resources than one of the world's wealthiest multinationals.

And before folks reply with "But Time Cook said convergence ain't gonna
happen!", remember that Steve and/or Tim have also said Apple won't make
a tablet, won't get into the music business, and have no interest in
making a phone.  The company is famous for its secrecy, and misdirection
is a frequent part of that recipe to keep the competition guessing.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems