Problem with Player on Windows

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Jun 12 20:59:39 EDT 2016

I am mentoring a very smart older man who is a complete LiveCode newbie who is on Windows

He was trying to get a player "PlayMySounds"  to work with pretty "bad" results.

I advised him to set up his project like this

MyLiveCode Project (folder)
    myFirstLCSTack.livecode
      /audio
              /listenToBirds.mp3
      /img
      /data

If he set the filename of a player from inside the inspector… and choses the "listenToBirds.mp3"

the file name would appear something like

:/C:/MyDrive/LiveCode/MyLiveCodeProject/audio/listenToBirds.mp3

If he clicked play to start the player… the audio plays as expected

changing the path to a relative path:

file: audio/listenToBirds.mp3 oin the inspector… the player will plays the file.
if we try to create a button

on mouseUp
   start player "PlayMeSounds"
end mouseup

the player simply jumped to the end… but you *can* still hit the play icon on the control itself and the sound plays.

if we removed the filename from the player, in the inspector  then strange things happen.

The player disappears from the screen, but it's vis prop is still true!  If you select it in the Project Browser, it appears on the card with dotted line around it but no player inside.

??

I advised him to upgrade to 8.1.0… I hope that was a good idea

Comments?

Brahmanathaswami