hasMemory

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jun 10 13:00:16 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-10 18:46, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Since all modern operating systems will happily dish out virtual memory
> and swap things around, I agree that seeing if you can allocate a block
> of
> memory of a given size is somewhat less useful. What might be more
> useful,
> though, is determining whether swap space is being used, which could
> have
> significant impact on program responsiveness.

The Mac OS X Activity Monitor on El Capitan has a 'memory pressure'
graph which is what it sounds like what you were looking for - I'm
guessing this is a measure for memory, a bit like the CPU load factor.

Of course, how Activity Monitor calculates this value is not clear - it
certainly isn't just a function of physical memory usage as I'm
currently using 10Gb/16Gb (i.e. 63%) and my memory pressure graph is as
low as it gets. I suspect it is some function of various factors (number
of paging requests, quantity of wired pages, free disk space etc.) which
increases more and more rapidly as the amount of virtual memory and
physical memory available approaches zero.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps