hasMemory

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 10 11:31:53 EDT 2016

Mark Waddingham wrote:

 > On 2016-06-10 06:14, Mark Wieder wrote:
 >> Here's a working cross-platform replacement for the flaky built-in
 >> hasMemory function.
 >
 > The builtin 'hasMemory' function is not flaky - the question it asks
 > just has no meaning on modern operating systems (and should probably
 > actually be removed!).

For all the reasons you mentioned (thanks for the details; I love
learning from your longer posts) what you say here makes good sense.

But I would also suggest what Mark Wieder is after is also useful,
though perhaps very different.

 From time to time it's useful to know how much RAM may be available to
an application, to make decisions about loading data.

Wieder's script seems to handle that, though I agree that it does seem
to be solving a very different problem from the hasMemory function.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems