The 'startup' message not working in IDE

Jerry Jensen jerry at jhjensen.com
Thu Jun 9 21:42:28 EDT 2016

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 6:31 PM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
>
> On 06/09/2016 05:11 PM, Jerry Jensen wrote:
>> True, true. in that example the “;” separates the declaration command from the assignment command. My mistake.
>>
>> However, here is an example that does the assignment right in the declaration command, on the fly:
>> It seems to work (!). Honestly, I half expected it to fail on the first do.
>
> Yeah, I'm always surprised when do statements succeed.<g>
>
> I know the syntax works, or at least most of the time. I just think I remember a discussion in the past about not doing this. But maybe I'm the only one who thinks this happened.

I’m still in the habit of not assigning value in declarations, and I’m sticking to it. I don’t like declarations in the middle of executing code either. When I’m curious about the details of a variable, I look at the top. Heck, I still use i,j,k,l,m,n variables for integers when there is such a thing. Harumph!

Song over,
.Jerry