The 'startup' message not working in IDE

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jun 8 16:40:42 EDT 2016

Paul Dupuis <paul at ...> writes:

> In LiveCode 6.7.11 and 8.1.0rc1 the startup message is send to your main
> stack when the mainstack is built as a standalone. However, if you open
> your stack in the IDE, the startup message is never received

As mentioned, this is by design, and it's quite a useful feature. I put code that
I want to run *only* in a standalone environment in the startup handler, and
initialization code that is common to both a standalone and development
environment in the startXXX handlers.

That said, if you really want to test the startup code in the IDE you can always
execute directly, either from the message box or from a test control:

command testStartup
  dispatch "startup" to card 1
end testStartup