Effective allowed orientation?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 8 13:39:28 EDT 2016

Colin Holgate wrote:

 >> > I've set.

 >> > Mostly guessing here, but turning off auto rotation shouldn’t
 >> > disable the accelerometer. You ought to be able to deduce if the
 >> > device is now portrait, and that you haven’t had an orientation
 >> > message.
 >>
 >> That's exactly the problem:  LiveCode changes orientation regardless
 >> of what the user's auto-rotate setting is.
 >>
 >> Bug?
 >
 > It may be debatable. If you have an app that does different things in
 > portrait an landscape, it’s handy if LiveCode ignores the device
 > settings. If you have a landscape-only app that swings around to the
 > upside-down view, then that would be wrong.

Agreed, certain types of apps may require specific orientation other
than the one the user has locked their device to.

But on the other hand, most apps will want to respect the user's
orientation choice.

I'm gathering we currently have no means of determining if the user has
turned off auto-rotate.  I can submit an enhancement request for that,
but if that's needed I'm surprised others aren't hearing back from
customers on this.

Any suggestions on how this should work? A function, maybe something
like mobileOrientationLocked?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems