"LiveCode Infinity": lexically-scoped variables and bytecode blocks

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Jun 7 14:02:05 EDT 2016

In LiveCode, I tend to use small private functions.  In a twisted sense, a handler that calls those does have block-based lexically scoped variables, the block is just pushed into a separate function.

On those occasions that I do write long handlers (for whatever excuse), I sometimes pretend that variables are block scoped for documentation reasons.  I declare the variables right before the section they are used in.  This might be confusing for others reading my code, though, so I minimize this.

I also use 'it' as though it has block scope and try not to let its life go beyond the chunks of a handler as my brain sees them.  Clear use of 'it' often avoids the need of a variable.  (Though a variable with a good name helps with documentation at times.)

So, for me, other improvements in compiling without language changes are more important.

Dar